Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A New Light

Well, I'm nearing a sort of end with my first book. It still needs a bit of work, but it should be ready to send out to agents and beta readers any day now. So what's next?


Photo by xdante-stock

It turns out I have an opportunity to do something pretty exciting. I can't give too many details (top secret!), but it's going to be awesome. A best-selling writer friend of my has created what he calls an "open world." He's writing a novel set in this world, but he is also inviting fellow writers to create connected novellas. That's were I come in. I'm one of the lucky ones he's approached.

So while I didn't design the world, I will be writing a story of my own creation in my own style. And let me tell you, it's exciting. I love creating within a framework. It's a challenge. In many ways it's more difficult than creating everything from scratch. Conforming to set rules while maintaining my unique voice has always been something I enjoy. That's why I write sonnets or pontoums. It's hard and it's fun.

I'll give more details as I can and I hope all of my readers will support this project. I love the idea of having many authors involved in one world. Even with novellas, that will allow an in depth exploration of human experiences that can be hard to achieve with a single novel or a single writer.

Also, it's refreshing to work on something new. I love my novel, but I've been with it for over a year. I'm ready for a new challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment